14 NIGERIAN MEN ACCUSED OF PUBLIC VIOLENCE CASE POSTPONED AGAIN

14 NIGERIAN MEN ACCUSED OF PUBLIC VIOLENCE CASE POSTPONED AGAIN

RUSTENBURG – Fourteen Nigerian men accused of public violence appeared briefly in the Rustenburg Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday.

Their case was postponed to April 25, for a new lawyer representing one of the accused to consult with his client.

Community members attending the court proceeding, charged at the new lawyer outside the court demanding to know why he had agreed to represent one of the men.

Community leader Themba Skosana said they were not happy that he was representing the accused.

“They have forgotten what we live by, and that is the safety of our children and our community. We are shocked that they found another person to represent them…”

Previously lawyers representing the men pulled out stating safety concerns.

The lawyer representing the other 13 men, Omoreige Ogboro from Pretoria, did not attend court proceedings on Tuesday. He had previously said he wanted to see the content of the docket to see if he could make any representation to the prosecution.

The men who are not to be identified for their own safety, were arrested on January 21, after they allegedly blocked access in and out of the Rustenburg police station, in protest at attacks on Nigerian nationals.

At least eight guest houses suspected to operate as brothels or drug houses were set alight on January 10 when taxi drivers led a “raid” on Nigerians, accusing them of selling drugs and operating brothels.

The men were denied bail on February 13, when they told the court it was not safe for them to be released on bail.

African News Agency/ANA

Facebook Comments

About author

Nigerians in South Africa
Nigerians in South Africa 10042 posts

We are about democracy, human rights, public opinion, political behavior, civil rights and policy aimed at improving the human condition, with a focus on African countries.

You might also like

Oil producers agree to cut production by a fifth

Image copyrightGetty Images Opec producers and allies have agreed to cut output by more than a fifth to counter the slump in demand caused by coronavirus lockdowns. The group said it would cut output in May and June by 10 million barrels to help prop up pr…

Trump trashes CDC school-reopening guidelines –

(CNN)After President Donald Trump tweeted Wednesday that he disagreed with US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines for safely reopening schools because they are “very tough” and “exp…

Gupta stunned by Trump-Fauci difference at briefing

Chat with us in Facebook Messenger. Find out what’s happening in the world as it unfolds.

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply