5 Nigerians Attacked Again In South Africa

5 Nigerians Attacked Again In South Africa

Less than a week after a high-powered Federal Government delegation left South Africa, to mediate in Xenophobic attacks in that country, five Nigerians were attacked yesterday 21 March 2017 in Polokwane, Limpopo Province.

The attack was confirmed by the publicity secretary of the Nigerian Union in the Province,Emeka Mbgo Ezinteje.
Emeka Mbgo Ezinteje reported to the news yesterday, that three, of the five Nigerians attacked, were in critical condition in hospital. “I received a call that a Nigerian was attacked at Ivy Park in Polokwane, on March 15. I got to the scene and saw that the Nigerian was almost dead; his house was looted and burnt,” Mgbo said.
He added that another Nigerian was also attacked in the same neighbourhood, same day and that while he got to the scene, the mob left the wounded man and descended on him.
“They left the wounded Nigerian and faced me. They destroyed my car and I managed to escape and ran to a police station.” He also said three Nigerians, including the owner of a mechanic garage, were attacked at Moledji, near Polokwane. “Their shops and houses were looted, vandalised and destroyed. The local chapter of the union has reported these attacks to the South African police, the Nigerian Mission and national secretariat of our union. I do not know if they will survive because of the severity of the attack.”
Mgbo urged the Federal Government to persuade its South African counterpart to ensure safety of Nigerians in their country. Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Olusola Enikanolaye, said the ministry had not been briefed about the incident.
Last month, property worth millions of dollars, belonging to Nigerians, were reportedly destroyed in South Africa.
Last week, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffery Onyeama, his Interior counterpart, Lt. Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau, a delegation from the House of Representatives met with the South African parliament on ways to curtail the attacks.

Facebook Comments

About author

You might also like

Human remains found in search for missing soldier

Image copyrightUS ArmyImage caption Vanessa Guillen, 20, disappeared from her base in the middle of the workday Unidentified human remains have been discovered in the search for a soldier who disa…

1WORD4AFRICA EXHIBITION LIVE IN CAPE TOWN

#1Word4Africa started as a social media campaign that started in May 2017. Our objective was to change the misguided perception of Africa with just ONE WORD. This triggered a conversation

Father dies of hypoxia in makeshift Covid-19 parking lot facility at KwaZulu-Natal hospital | News24

A Pietermartizburg father died while housed in a makeshift Covid-19 facility in the Northdale Hospital parking lot.He complained that he felt cold but, according to his daughter, a n…

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply