Baby still missing as woman, 18, appears in court on kidnapping charge

Baby still missing as woman, 18, appears in court on kidnapping charge

Two-month-old Kwahlelo Tiwane, who was snatched in Cape Town, has yet to be found as his alleged kidnapper made her second appearance in court.Karabo Vivian Tau, 18, applied for bail in the Bellville Magistrate’s Court on Thursday, confirmed regional National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila.He said Tau, who faces a charge of kidnapping, would remain in custody until her next appearance on Monday as her application was postponed.Western Cape police said a woman had snatched Tiwane, one of twin boys, in Parow last Wednesday by gaining their mother’s trust.Police spokesperson Colonel André Traut said the woman had posed as a social worker, asking for the baby’s birth certificate and clinic card.”The suspect returned the next day and accompanied the mother and children in a taxi to Parow, where she told the mother her office was.”Once the vehicle stopped at the “office”, the woman got out with one of the twins and fled.Khayelitsha ward councillor Xolisa Ngwekazi told EWN the family and residents had been approached by a young lady posing as a social worker who said she was looking for unemployed people so she could provide them with food parcels and a R1 000 voucher.The Cape Argus reported Tau had allegedly confessed to selling the baby to foreign nationals while being questioned by police on Sunday, and that some of her relatives were allegedly involved.Tau is a matric pupil at a school in Claremont, according to Netwerk24. – Compiled by Jenna Etheridge
Read More

About author

Nigerians in South Africa
Nigerians in South Africa 6422 posts

We are about democracy, human rights, public opinion, political behavior, civil rights and policy aimed at improving the human condition, with a focus on African countries.

You might also like

SABC distances itself from fake Facebook page

The SABC has distanced itself from a Facebook account purporting to belong to SABC News.Spokesperson Mmoni Seapolelo said the account, titled Sabc News – South Africa, had on Friday tweeted misinformation about the 2019 matric results, which are expected to be announced next week.”The SABC would like to put it on record that this account…

Iran ‘quizzed on possible past nuclear activities’

Image copyrightEPAImage caption Iran reportedly told the IAEA that it would “not recognise any allegation on past activities” A global watchdog has reportedly criticised Iran for not answering questions about possible undeclared nuclear material and nuclea…

Community 0 Comments

REST IN PEACE DAUDA MOHAMMED

The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has announced the death of a former National President of the association, Mr Dauda Mohammed, aged 38, after a protracted illness. Obasi said

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply