Following the country’s move to Level 4 lockdown as of 28th June 2021, the Department of Home Affairs has, today, the 30th of June 2021 gazetted the following directions related to temporary residence visas, permanent residence visas and civic services rendered under the current lockdown level:
- Temporary Residence Visas
All legally issued visas or permits that expired during the lockdown are deemed to be valid until 30 September 2021:
- This applies to both short-term visas (issued for up to 90 days) and long-term visas (issued for more than 90 days)
- This automatic extension applies ONLY to holders of visas or permits who have NOT departed the Republic since March 2020, and had arrived with a valid visa between December 2019 and 14 March 2021
- This DOES NOT apply to any visa obtained on or after, or to persons who entered the Republic on or after 15 March 2021. The normal validity period of visas of people admitted into the country from 15 March 2021 applies
Holders of long-term temporary residence visas such as study visa, treaty visa, business visa, medical treatment visa, relatives’ visas, general work visa, critical skills work visa, retired person’s visa and exchange visa which expired during the State of National Disaster are invited to renew their visas before 30 September 2021.
Refugee Reception Centres remain closed. The validity of asylum and refugee permits has been extended until 30 September 2021.
Asylum seekers and refugees are encouraged to continue renewing their permits via the online platform.
NB: A holder of a visa or permit must adhere to the terms and conditions of his or her visa and any activity not endorsed onto such visa or permit is prohibited.
- Permanent Resident Permits
Permanent Residence Permit application remain closed in so far as new applications, appeals and proof of permanent residence applications are concerned. However, with effect from:
- 01 October 2021 – permanent residence permit appeals applications will be rendered
- 01 October 2021 – proof of permanent residence permits applications will be rendered; and
- 01 January 2022 – permanent residence permits applications will be rendered
- Civic Services
The Department of Home Affairs will continue to render the following Civic Services during Alert level 4 of the lockdown:
- Birth registrations
- Re-issuance of birth and marriage certificate
- Late registration of birth for learners only (appointment basis)
- Death registration
- Application of temporary identity certificates
- Application of first time identity card or document
- Collection of identity card or document
- Solemnisation and registration of marriages
- Application and collection of passports / travel documents for persons taking up employment or studies abroad, attend funerals or other emergency situations on submission of proof thereof
- Applications for retention and renunciation of citizenships
- Processing of unabridged birth certificate applications for first time ID card or document applications