POLICE TO REMAIN ON HIGH ALERT AFTER DEADLY WHITE CITY CLASHES

POLICE TO REMAIN ON HIGH ALERT AFTER DEADLY WHITE CITY CLASHES

JOHANNESBURG – Police will remain on high alert in White City after violence broke out between angry residents and foreign nationals who operate stores in the Soweto community.

Two people were shot dead earlier on Wednesday allegedly by business owners who were trying to protect their shops.

Police have confirmed two foreign nationals have been arrested after they were found with unlicensed firearms.

A large crowd of children in school uniform have gathered alongside residents at the Cross Road shopping complex in Mofolo.

Tensions remain high as police work to restore calm in the area. A number of looted stores were cleaned out this afternoon by angry residents.

While some residents say they’re frustrated with buying food that’s allegedly expired, others say those claims are false and that people simply want an excuse to loot.

Earlier, scores of people could be seen carrying large bags of groceries back to their homes.

Captain Mphande Khoza who is on the scene says police will keep watch throughout the evening.

“It’s a scene that started at White City and spread to other areas like Mofolo, Senaoane, Naledi and others.”

He says the situation escalated when one local resident was shot by a foreign national.

“That’s where the community started burning tyres and looting most of the shops

Police say a group of other people have also been arrested for public violence.

The City of Johannesburg has condemned the violence.

MMC for Public Safety Michael Sun says he’ll be visiting the area on Wednesday evening to assess the situation and implement appropriate action.

Katleho Sekhotho / EWN
(Edited by Winnie Theletsane)

Facebook Comments

About author

Nigerians in South Africa
Nigerians in South Africa 8406 posts

We are about democracy, human rights, public opinion, political behavior, civil rights and policy aimed at improving the human condition, with a focus on African countries.

You might also like

Sea Point land sale: Failure to include isiXhosa in public notice a problem, court hears

When the Western Cape government placed a notice inviting comment on its planned sale of R135m worth of property in Sea Point for a day school, it failed to include a notice in isiXhosa, the Western Cape High Court heard on Tuesday. Advocate Thabani Masuku SC told the court the purpose of including isiXhosa with English…

Fact check: Trump falsely claims, again, that anybody who wants a test can get one

Fact check: Trump falsely claims, again, that anybody who wants a test can get one

Decision to revive District Six name restores stolen pride of people

The renaming of Zonnebloem back to District Six will not only right an historical wrong, but also restore the stolen pride of people whose ancestors and predecessors had their lives, hopes, memories and dreams destroyed along with their homes, and their history erased, Arts and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa said on Wednesday.”In modern-day South Africa,…

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply