PRESIDENT MUHAMMADU BUHARI SAYS BOKO HARAM-HIT NORTH EASTERN NIGERIA NOW ‘POST-CONFLICT’

PRESIDENT MUHAMMADU BUHARI SAYS BOKO HARAM-HIT NORTH EASTERN NIGERIA NOW ‘POST-CONFLICT’

Nigeria’s remote northeast is in a “post-conflict stabilisation phase”, President Muhammadu Buhari said on Friday, despite persistent attacks by Boko Haram insurgents.

The Islamist insurgency has devastated the region since 2009, leaving at least 20 000 dead, displacing more than 2.6 million others and triggering a wider humanitarian crisis.

Buhari, his military commanders and government have repeatedly insisted for several years that the jihadists were on the verge of defeat, despite frequent evidence to the contrary.

But his latest statement goes further as it implies a total end to hostilities.

Addressing troops in the garrison town of Monguno, some 140km from the Borno state capital, Maiduguri, Buhari said Boko Haram fighters were surrendering “willingly”.

“It’s evident that we are in a post-conflict stability phase, which has been made possible by the good work of our armed forces,” he added.

Former military ruler Buhari came to power three years ago on a promise to defeat Boko Haram, which is aligned to the Islamic State group and threatens security in the Lake Chad region.

But while there have been clear military gains since a counter-insurgency was launched in early 2015, suicide bombings and raids remain a constant threat, particularly to civilians.

Last month, 43 people were killed in a wave of suicide attacks in the town of Damboa, 90km southwest of Maiduguri. Soldiers and civilians have also been killed in Niger and Chad.

The United Nations said in a progress report of its operations in Nigeria this year to May 31 that “large-scale displacements” of people were still a weekly occurrence.

“In the past seven months, since hostilities intensified in the northeast, over 130 000 people have been displaced, sometimes for the second or third time,” it added.

It warned that such displacements would continue into at least next month, while aid workers have expressed concern about the government encouraging IDPs to return home.

Towns and villages damaged and destroyed by nine years of fighting lacked shelter, clean water, sanitation, health and education facilities, and security remained volatile.

Buhari, 75, is seeking re-election in February next year and aid workers said his latest statement about hostilities was likely political.

He is also under pressure from increasing insecurity elsewhere, including renewed bloodshed in a long-running farmers-herders conflict that has left some 1,000 dead since January.

“Everything points to the fact that there’s still major, major problems” in northeast Nigeria, one aid worker told AFP.

-AFP

Facebook Comments

About author

Nigerians in South Africa
Nigerians in South Africa 9866 posts

We are about democracy, human rights, public opinion, political behavior, civil rights and policy aimed at improving the human condition, with a focus on African countries.

You might also like

US, Taliban sign historic deal to wind down Afghan war

The US signed a landmark deal with the Taliban on Saturday, laying out a timetable for a full troop withdrawal from Afghanistan within 14 months as it seeks an exit from its longest war.The agreement is expected to lead to a dialogue between the Taliban and the Kabul government that, if successful, could ultimately see…

Politics 0 Comments

SA HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION ‘DEEPLY CONCERNED’ OVER PRETORIA WEST, ROSETTENVILLE VIOLENCE

JOHANNESBURG – The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) says its deeply concerned about the looting of foreign-owned shops and destruction of property by residents in Atteridgeville in Pretoria and

‘Scammer’ paying back his victims while behind bars

He was scammed R400,000 and left broke and struggling to put food on the table, but Emmanuel Mmbadi may have something to smile about this Christmas. Mmbadi, 40, was one

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply