South African Police notches up huge success against vehicle crime in Gauteng

South African Police notches up huge success against vehicle crime in Gauteng

PRETORIA – Several suspects believed to be part of a vehicle hijacking syndicate have been arrested in multi-disciplinary operations over the past week, said the South African Police Service (SAPS) in Gauteng on Sunday.

During the last release of the crime statistics, the category of aggravated robbery, particularly the trio crimes of house robberies, business robberies, and carjackings, was highlighted as being extremely problematic and concerning, spokesman Brigadier Vishnu Naidoo said.

SAPS reclaims vehicles that had been hijacked in various areas in and around Johannesburg and Pretoria. Photo: Twitter / Arrive Alive

SAPS reclaims vehicles that had been hijacked in various areas in and around Johannesburg and Pretoria. Photo: Twitter / Arrive Alive

SAPS top management met early in March and drafted a national trio crimes action plan to tackle these crimes in a co-ordinated and focused manner, he said.

Last Friday, members of SAPS crime intelligence uncovered information about a hijacked BMW X5 which led to the arrest of four suspects in Middelburg.

Following further intelligence received, a team comprising of the SAPS detective service, visible policing, special task force, the vehicle crimes unit, and the Hawks – supported by Tracker and Bidvest Protea Coin companies – arrested two more suspects in Lenasia, south of Johannesburg.

They recovered another nine luxury vehicles to the value of approximately R7 million, Naidoo said.

These vehicles included a Porche 911, BMW M3, Audi RS7, Mercedes Benz, Toyota Hilux double cab bakkie, Ford Ranger double cab bakkie, a Hyundai H1 minibus, and two motorcycles.

Several suspects believed to be part of a vehicle hijacking syndicate have been arrested in multi-disciplinary operations over the past week in Gauteng. Photo: SAPS

Several suspects believed to be part of a vehicle hijacking syndicate have been arrested in multi-disciplinary operations over the past week in Gauteng. Photo: SAPS

The vehicles had been hijacked in various areas in and around Johannesburg and Pretoria, he said.

“The team also recovered a handheld radio and two firearms which will be ballistically tested to establish if they were used in the commission of any crimes. Approximately R600,000 in cash was also seized.”

The suspects were likely to face charges of being in possession of vehicles suspected to be stolen. Further charges could well be added as investigations and liaison with the prosecuting authority continued. The suspects were expected to appear in the Lenasia Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

“All role players are to be commended on this huge breakthrough which will undoubtedly disrupt organised carjackings and motor vehicle theft in Gauteng.

“As part of the implementation of the national trio crimes action plan, the SAPS is liaising and working closely with other role players in, inter alia, the security, banking, and vehicle industries and their support is appreciated. Investigations continue and more arrests cannot be ruled out,” said Naidoo.

African News Agency

Facebook Comments

About author

Nigerians in South Africa
Nigerians in South Africa 9906 posts

We are about democracy, human rights, public opinion, political behavior, civil rights and policy aimed at improving the human condition, with a focus on African countries.

You might also like

Health 0 Comments

DO A THIRD OF ADULTS IN NIGERIA SUFFER FROM HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE?

Claim: One out of every three adults in Nigeria has high blood pressure. Source: Dr. Okechukwu Ogah, president of the Nigerian Cardiac Society (October 2018) Verdict: Mostly correct Explainer: 28.9%

Baby still missing as woman, 18, appears in court on kidnapping charge

Two-month-old Kwahlelo Tiwane, who was snatched in Cape Town, has yet to be found as his alleged kidnapper made her second appearance in court.Karabo Vivian Tau, 18, applied for bail in the Bellville Magistrate’s Court on Thursday, confirmed regional National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila.He said Tau, who faces a charge of kidnapping, would remain in…

AP source: Feds back away from Stone sentencing proposal

AP source: Feds back away from Stone sentencing proposal

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply