TEENAGER ASSAULTED IN XENOPHOBIC ATTACK AT SALT RIVER HIGH SCHOOL

TEENAGER ASSAULTED IN XENOPHOBIC ATTACK AT SALT RIVER HIGH SCHOOL

Cape Town – A Grade 10 pupil at Salt River High School was attacked in an alleged bullying incident at the school following months of threats from her peers.

Donette Ngonefi said the tension began at the beginning of the year when she was elected class monitor. Fellow pupils were allegedly against her appointment because she was a foreigner.

Donette from the DRC said she had trouble performing her duties as class monitor because she was constantly verbally abused.

The abuse was then reported to the principal who allegedly showed “a lack of compassion” because she had notified the principal of the verbal abuse before it escalated to an assault last week.

In a video of the attack, Donette is seen sitting while some the pupils scream and shout at her. The incident escalates as multiple students begin assaulting her.

A male student is seen attacking her while others joined.

Donette suffered multiple injuries including injuries to her abdomen. A teacher who refused to be named due to an ongoing situation regarding the matter said Donette came to her crying and she was in a bad state.

Donette later collapsed and “fell on her face”. Another teacher came in to help her. Her friends also came into the classroom to support her.

On Wednesday case was reported to the police by Donette’s mother and Congolese community leader Papy Sukami. Sukami sad she has been fearing for her daughter’s safety every day.

“I was really hurt because every time she comes home complaining. She’s not safe at the school and I don’t understand why the principal didn’t relieve her off her class monitor duties,” she said.

She says she was told her children should stay at home until September 5, 2019.

The Western Cape Department of Education communications director, Bronagh Hammond said: “The SGB met on Wednesday afternoon to decide a way forward and will continue with disciplinary proceedings. While the actions of the original fight are unacceptable, the actions following this incident by the other learners is just as wrong. The WCED are monitoring the situation. We await the outcome of the disciplinary hearings.”

LUKHANYO MTUTA / Weekend Argus

Facebook Comments

About author

Nigerians in South Africa
Nigerians in South Africa 8324 posts

We are about democracy, human rights, public opinion, political behavior, civil rights and policy aimed at improving the human condition, with a focus on African countries.

You might also like

SIX PEOPLE SHOT DEAD IN INFORMAL SETTLEMENT IN MPUMALANGA

Mpumalanga police say they are investigating an incident in which six people were shot dead in an informal settlement in Ogies. No other details were immediately available about the incident‚

Body of man found after his vehicle was swept away by flash floods

The body of a Hartebeespoort man was recovered on Monday after his car was swept away by flash floods.According to National Sea and Rescue Institute (NSRI) Hartbeespoort Dam station commander Arthur Crewe, the man was travelling with his wife on Sunday when their vehicle was swept away when they attempted to cross a flooded bridge.Crewe said they…

‘Every person can be the hero of this time’

VideoMedics from countries around the world on their fears and the challenges of fighting Covid-19.

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply